Adult/ElderAbuse Prevention & Awareness Program
The Adult/Elder Abuse Prevention and Awareness Program is dedicated to helping elders/adults with disabilities, their families, and caregivers with information on services that are available to at-risk-individuals. The program helps empower individuals to sustain their independence while providing solution focused options to facilitate safety and well-being. It offers a responsive system that accepts all referrals concerning elder/adult abuse, neglect or exploitation.
The Milestones Adult/Elder Rights Specialist works to collaborate with community providers to facilitate safety and well-being of individuals. We strive to educate and inform individuals of the services and supports which may be available for them to choose from. We offer Adult/Elder Abuse Awareness presentations to community groups and organizations.
If you suspect abuse, neglect or financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult and want to discuss the situation, call the Adult/Elder Rights Specialist at Milestones Area Agency on Aging, 1-855-410-6222.
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger please call 9-1-1. To make a dependent adult abuse report, call the Department of Human Services at 800-362-2178.
What is adult/elder abuse?
• EMOTIONAL ABUSE using threats, humiliation or harassment; causing anguish and feelings of shame or powerlessness. It often occurs in combination with other forms of abuse.
• FINANCIAL ABUSE using someone’s money, property or other assets illegally or improperly; or forcing someone to change their will, power-of- attorney or sign any legal/financial documents.
• SOCIAL ABUSE preventing contact with friends, relatives, or service providers or restricting activities to increase the sense of isolation.
• NEGLECT failing to provide the basic necessities of life; either intentionally or unintentionally.
• PHYSICAL ABUSE inflicting pain or injury by hitting, slapping, pushing or using restraints.
• SEXUAL ABUSE any sexual activity for which the person has not consented.