Nutrition & Healthy Living
Senior Nutrition Centers
Where good nutrition and conversation happen daily.
Do you skip meals? Hate eating alone? Don’t want to cook? Or maybe you like to gather with friends and do fun things? We serve food you like, at a good value. It’s a place to meet your friends, visit with one another and enjoy various activities.
It’s the Best Deal in Town.
- Anyone age 60 or better is welcome to dine at a Senior Nutrition Center. If your spouse is younger, not a problem – bring them along for the same suggested contribution.
- Suggested guidelines for contributions are posted at the meal centers. Ability to contribute does not determine eligibility. Individuals under age 60 are required to pay the full cost of the meal.
- Serving days depend on the location. Meals are generally served between 11:30 AM and noon, Monday thru Friday. Dine daily or check out the menu and come when your favorite foods are served. Reservations are required a day before you plan to eat.
If you are unsure on how to get started, just give us a call; we’d be happy to answer your questions and show you how easy it is.
- Home-delivered meals are available in various locations at a suggested contribution. Call 855-410-6222 and check on availability.
- Menus are approved by a Registered Dietician to meet 1/3 of the current Dietary Reference Intakes for older adults and conforms to Dietary Guidelines. Meals are low in fat and sodium and include milk and fruit.
- Senior Nutrition Centers provide monthly nutrition and wellness information. Fresh Conversations discussions are held in various locations which include nutrition education, food sampling and exercises to stay healthy.
- Events and special menus are planned throughout the year. Each site is unique with seasonal decorations, topics of the day, bingo, card playing, live music and much more!
- Muscatine County meals are prepared by Unity Point Health-Trinity Muscatine. Clinton and Scott County meals are prepared by Sodexo Campus Services, St. Ambrose University, Davenport. Meals served at locations in Appanoose, Davis, Des Moines, Henry, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lee, Louisa, Lucas, Mahaska, Monroe, Van Buren, Wapello and Wayne Counties are prepared locally at each individual kitchen.
- Senior Nutrition Centers are funded by the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program and participant contributions. Each center meets the County Health Department’s inspection standards and guidelines.
The Senior Nutrition Program can be found in all 17 counties in the Milestones’ service area.